Thursday, October 05, 2006

A Father's Son

The following is from Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia.

Jason
(Greek: Ιάσων, Etruscan: Easun) is a hero of Greek mythology who led the Argonauts in the search of the Golden Fleece. His father was Aeson, the rightful king of Iolcus. Jason is a common given name for a male. It comes from Greek origin, meaning "healer". There is a female alternative, Jacin, derived from the spanish name Jacinta, or the americanized version Jacinda- meaning Hyacinth.

Readers of this blog have read that I have a daughter who will soon be married. What you may not know is that I also have an incredible son who lives in New York. I seems that it was just yesterday that he was a bright eyed six year old running around in blue shorts on the Idaho Soccer fields. He has grown to be a kind and caring young man, who understands the value of a hard days work and takes joy in the tug of a fish at the end of a wetted line. He is passionate about life, and especially passionate about "Our San Diego Chargers".

I enjoy speaking with my son often. Lately, our discussions have revolved around fishing. Fishing on Long Lake, fishing in the Adirondaks. It pleases me that he takes joy in this pastime. I think about the many hours that I have fished and was very happy to find the Babylonian Proverb which reads:
"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing."
We have found this common passion, our common commune with nature. Where we tie a man made object at the end of a line. That line is thrown to a point in the water and then hope arises. John Buchan has written that
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
I gladly repeat, it pleases me that my son takes joy in fishing. I take joy in my son.

As my Son grew, I cannot say I was always there for him. I did the best that I could. But, I was always amazed by him. He is so smart, so brilliant, but at the same time seems to take satisfaction is the little things. He seems to have grown not to be a "Player". He takes the idea of a relationship very serious. Would rather not have lots of girlfriends, so he can spend time finding the right "One". He said to me last year " Dad, I have to go back to church, so I can find a wife that will really love me and be loyal to me". I believe loyalty is very important to him. Even to this day - he routinely amazes me.

When one looks at the meaning of his name, we find it means "Healer". I like the definition provided by www.healthy.net:

That which authentically heals, whether it is an idea, a personal action, a medicine or a health practitioner who assists in activating the natural healing capacity of the body, mind, spirit.
As a young father, I saw this healing power in action through Jason. The way that he healed me from bein an immature young adult male to being a father. The incredible passion that eminated from my bride as she held him and nurtured him. My wife definately found her niche, being a mother, through our children. After my grandmother died, Jason and I made a trip to see my grandfather. The joy in my Papa's face just to see him and spend time with him. My Papa has gone to be with Grandma now, yet that visit still provides healing for me at the loss of my Grandfather.

God has great plans for Jason, this I know deep in my soul. God will provide him an amazing woman. Give them beautiful children and Jason will continue to provide healing. I love my son, as a father, as a friend and as a mentor. I look forward to see him grow as a man.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is sweet. Jason seems like an amazing young man, and you are his amazing father. It is awsome to see how God strengthens us and matures us even when we don't know or realize it. God bless you and your family...much love

~Mandy