Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Pain of Separation

This week I read a touching blog of a young very talented friend. It brought me to tears.

Yes Big Old gruff Jim has tears right at this moments. It happens to me often, when I watch Field of Dreams or movies where there is a strong father/son reunion. I know that reunion will never occur for me until I see Jesus, and then hopefully I will see my Dad.

I miss him so!

I was adopted when I was 12 by Donald Cleveland Ranes. He married my mom and took on her two children. He fathered me, taught me to be a man, gave me the evidence of what a real father should be like. How a real father should act. A real man and father. There at all my games, trying to coach, taking me camping, fishing. Providing evidence of how a man was to act and take care of his family.

At 18, we found out he had cancer. He lived for about 2 years - long enough to see his first Grandchild born, My incredible son Jason. My daughter never met her grandfather and in two months she is marrying a fine young man. Oh how I wish he were here to see this day. I have to pause right now as the tears flow.....

Many mistakes have punctuated my life - I was not always there for my incredible Wife and Kids - yet they still love me. Even with all my character flaws they still love me.

The day my Dad died, I did not go to the hospital. I made a conscious decision not to. I justified it by saying that I wanted remember him well, and not dying. What a huge mistake. To this day, I regret not being there when he went to be with Jesus. Not there to hold his hand. Not there to tell him that I love him. Without a doubt, my greatest life regret to this point in time and today, it really hit me how much I miss him.

I implore all who read this, take the time to love on your family. Give them hugs and kisses every night. Take joy in the minutes that you have. For they may truly only be minutes. I miss my Dad, and it hurts right now. I know Christ has filled that void, and I take solice in that, but right now I choose to live in this sadness and pain

No comments: