Saturday, December 01, 2007

Some things don't need to change to get better.


I turned 47 last month. As I opened the simple gift that my Bride of 29 years gave me, I was very happy. When I placed it in the CD Player, I was taken back 37 years to the day. That was just weird. I had turned 10 that day and had been given the magical sum of $5.00 in a birthday card by not 1, but 4 different people. That gave me the magical sum of $20.00. A lot of money for a 10 year old in 1970. You 20 somethings, probably wouldn't relate, but for those of us that are the last of the baby boomer's, you know it, I was rich!!!

At that point in my life, obviously not thinking about my 401K, I had to spend that money, like yesterday. I wish I remember where we went, but I don't. I had $20.00 and I could buy anything. A new baseball glove, or a new pair of Converse Chuck Taylor low tops. But no - I went right to the records. I had never bought an album before. Only 45's and now I had enough to purchase two. The first Blood, Sweat and Tears - Spinning Wheels and the second is why I am writing today. I loved music that day and I still do today.

I went to the rack with all the C's and there it was. This one guy in red pants on a 10-speed. Guys in jeans with long hair. My hair wasn't long, I wasn't nearly that cool. But there it was. Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival. Songs like "Ooby Dooby" and "Ramble Tamble" and don't forget maybe the best three songs in a row on one album, maybe of all time. Songs 5-7 "Lookin' out my back door", "Run through the Jungle" and "Up around the bend".


Fast forward 1970 plus 37. I opened that simply wrapped gift this morning and I found a CD and DVD of John Fogerty's newest Album (CD - I just can not stop calling them albums) 'Revival". When I put the in the player, with song 1 "Don't you wish it was true", I found myself immediately tapping my fingers and toes. Was CCR back together? The John Fogerty influence in CCR was especially obvious with his latest production. I am on my second time though this album today and I know it will be in my car and most listened to in my Ipod for several weeks. This is a really good album and cannot recommend purchase or download high enough. I you are a CCR fan, a fan of rockabilly, or a fan of Fogerty, you will not be dissatisfied with this album . Two thumbs up, 9 out of 10 - whatever your rating scale - run out and buy this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

.

Hey James--

Cruising through cyber-space this morning off of links at Google Blogger Search.

Although I dig the whole "album" -- My favorites off Revival? Gunslinger and River is Waiting ...

I read your post here and couldn't help but turn ya' on to everything Fogerty at his official message forum. From all over the world.

Drop by and lurk, or if the bug bites you, sign up and shoot the bull.

John Fogerty Forum

A lot of nice folks hanging out there.

Have a great day!

- Al -

.